Yorkshire Dales National Park
Visit Grimwith Reservoir to enjoy beautiful moorland views in tranquil surroundings. Lots of chances to spot interesting bird species, the reservoir is nationally important for wigeon and ringed-plover.
Where to start: Grimwith reservoir car park
This is grid reference SE 063640 on the OS Explorer OL2 map.
Start: Walk left away from the Yorkshire Water car park back down the access track. After 200m turn right through the gate and follow the reservoir embankment wall for 950m. Once past the field gate turn right and follow the walled track straight ahead for 300m. Still following the track turn left and continue up the hill past Rams Close Barn.
- SE O50647 – At the top, turn right and follow the track passing woodland planting on the right. Continue along the track for 960m until you come to a timber bridge. Continue along the track again passing woodland plantations on your right until you come to a second timber bridge. Cross the bridge ignoring the track to the left, bearing right follow the track along the reservoir edge.
- SE 053655 - Leaving the stone track, continue straight ahead through a timber kissing gate. Follow the path rising uphill for 250m until reaching stone steps and a timber footbridge. Continue over the footbridge along the path until reaching another timber kissing gate.
- SE 058650 - Ignoring the access track to the left continue straight ahead along the track passing the old ruined building on the right. Still following the track ignore the track to the left and continue until you reach a embankment with a small lake on the left. Taking in the views across the reservoir continue along the track with woodland plantations on the right until you reach a track on the right which leads to redundant farm buildings.
- SE 071646 - Staying on the main track continue straight ahead ignoring the footpath to the left until the track passes heather thatched High Laithe. If time allows have a look around this early cruck barn which was dismantled and moved to this site when the reservoir was extended and re-flooded in the mid 1980s. Beyond the barn the track bears right. Follow the track for 30m until you reach a path on the right signposted ‘YW Waterside Footpath’.
- SE 072643 - Leaving the main track and taking the signposted path on the right continue steadily uphill taking in the views until a timber footbridge is reached. Continue over the bridge until eventually the path rejoins the main track. Turning right follow the track until reaching a timber handgate on the left. Continue through a second metal kissing gate and straight ahead along the track for 200m and back to the car park.
- Length: 7 km / 4.5 miles
- Time: 2.5 hours
- Grade: Moderate
- Download walk and map for printing
- Access: See terrain, steps and stiles
- Get here:See bus, train and car directions
- Facilities:See parking, food and toilets
Terrain: Most of the route is on aggregate tracks. One small section over uneven ground. Muddy in places.
Steps: Several stone steps
Stiles: None, but 6 gates
Train: Nearest station is Skipton.
Bus: Nearest stop, Hebden.
Car: B6265 road between Grassington and Pateley Bridge.
Parking: Free parking at Grimwith reservoir car park.
Refreshments: Tea rooms, pubs and cafés at Grassington village 4 miles and Pateley Bridge 5 miles.
Toilets: Grimwith reservoir car park.