From Wold to Water
A walk from the historic town on Stow-on-the-Wold via the picturesque villages of Icomb and Wyck Rissington, through Salmonsbury Water Meadows to Bourton-on-the-water.
Where to start: Stow-on-the-Wold
This is grid reference SP 191258 on the OS Explorer OL45 map.
Start: From Stow centre walk down Park Street and take the fenced track to the right of the car park towards Maugersbury Manor.
Walk through the ancient village, cross the junction and follow road round to the left, passing a lovely semicircular house on the left.
At the next junction turn right and follow the road down the hill past Oxleaze Farm and up, to climb Maugersbury Hill where on a good day you can enjoy great views.
- SP205 232. Join the surfaced road and follow this down the hill bearing left at the junction and then right by the house on the island to enter the charming village of Icomb with the 12th century church, St Mary’s. Bear right and in 100 metres take the path in front of you up through fields to the trees at the top of the hill which leads on to the road.
- SP205 226. Cross the road and take the track up to Hill Farm. Past the farmhouse through the copse to skirt the field and meet the A424 Stow to Burford road. Cross carefully following the path up the other side through trees (blue way mark signs). Bear right off the track, skirting the wood down to Wyck Rissington.
- SP188 218. As the village opens out before you, turn right at the road and in a few metres go through the gate opposite the post office box to follow the Oxfordshire Way towards Bourton.
- SP180 215. The path crosses the River Dikler and then the River Eye (tributaries of the Windrush).
These water meadows are a unique habitat for rare flowers, insects and other wildlife and are protected as a nature reserve by the Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust. The path leads you out into Station Road and so to Bourton, High Street.
- Length: 10 km / 6 miles
- Time: 2 - 3 hours
- Grade: Moderate
- Download walk and map for printing
- Access: See terrain, steps and stiles
- Get here:See bus, train and car directions
- Facilities:See parking, food and toilets
Terrain: Terrain It will be a hilly walk in places, and possibly be muddy occasionally as it crosses water meadows.
Train: Nearest train station is at Moreton-in-Marsh.
Bus: Buses are available from Cheltenham to Bourton-on-the-Water, Stow-on-the-Wold, Moreton-in Marsh and return - Pulhams Coaches no: 801
Car: The A429 runs through Stow.
Parking: Parking Bourton-on-the-Water public car park (fee payable). If parking at Stow-on-the-Wold there is free car parking available at Tesco car park.
Refreshments: Bourton and Stow.
Toilets: Bourton and Stow.